Wednesday, December 9, 2009

a book is a book? is a book?


This was by far the most confusing project that we've had all semester. We were told to make a book about a concept of reading without using any conventional pages, type, covers, or bindings. That didn't leave me with much to work with. I explored a lot of different concepts and decided to focus on my reading process. I hate reading and find it frustrating because I get confused trying to read one section of text as it is and the longer I sit there, the more confusing and distorted the words become. I wrote out my concept using only portions of the letters so that they are illegible on a a stretchy fabric. As you try to read more, the viewer is supposed to turn the dowel and the words just keep stretching out more and more making it even harder to read. I chose really thick wood that I distressed to convey the burden that reading is in my mind.

No comments: